TATE'S 100 WISH QUILT

SWATCH SWAPPING AND WISDOM WISHING FOR TATE.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

100 GOOD WISHES QUILT

There is a tradition in the northern part of China to make a Bai Jia Bei, or 100 Good Wishes Quilt, to welcome and celebrate life. It is custom to invite friends and family to contribute a square of cloth along with a good wish for the baby. The quilt is said to contain the luck, energy and good wishes from everyone who contributed a piece of fabric. The quilt becomes an heirloom and is passed from generation to generation.If you wish to participate, select a machine washable, 100% cotton fabric. The fabric can be new or "used and meaningful".

Please pre-wash the fabric so it will not shrink or bleed when the quilt is laundered. Cut one 7"x7" square of fabric. In addition, glue a small patch of the fabric on a 4"x6" or 5"x7" paper or cardstock with your good wish for Tate. Your wish can be simple or elaborate - of your own words and thoughts, a favorite poem or quote. Please remember to sign your wish and include your city and state. The good wishes with the small pieces of fabric will go into a scrapbook. When Tate is older, she will be able to match up the wishes and fabrics to her quilt. The quilt will also give Tate some history. She will know that while she was in a Chinese orphanage, many people thought of her.Please send me an email to let me know that you want to contribute. I wlll send you my mailing address.

Thank you so much for helping me make this gift for my daughter possible. Your kindness and generosity means so much to me. If you are making a quilt for your daughter, please let me know so I can contribute to your quilt and memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home